This is a supervision contract between Claire McCluskey and _____________________ .
From _____________________ until its review (or ending) on _____________________ .
- Are members of BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) and abide by their ethical framework.
- Have indemnity insurance for the work (or if the supervisee is in an agency the agency that the agency covers the supervisee with their insurance.)
What is supervision?
We are agreed that supervision is a forum used by supervisees to reflect on all aspects of their clinical work, where they receive formal and informal feedback on that work and where the safety and welfare of clients and the quality of the service they receive is central.
We agree to meet for _____________________ (duration) hours every _____________________ (month/fortnight) at _____________________ .
At a time arranged at the end of each supervisory session.
Sessions cost £45 per hour.
We have agreed that the following arrangements will take place in the following situations:
- If either the counsellor or the supervisor cannot attend a session they will let the other know as soon as possible.
- If the supervisee cancels with less than 24 hours notice or does not attend a supervision session then a £25 late fee is payable.
- Where there are disagreements, disputes, conflict areas between supervisor/supervisee the supervisor will bring this to supervision of supervision.
- If there is need for extra supervision this can be discussed.
- Contracts with others. e.g. agency will be borne in mind.
- Contact numbers for placement manager(if appropriate) _____________________ will be available to the supervisor.
- Keeping of supervisory notes: Both supervisor and supervisee will be free to write notes. The supervisor will keep their notes securely.
- Emergencies: You are free to phone me on the following number: _____________________
- N.B. What will you (the supervisee) do if I (the supervisor) am not available?
The following guidelines/ground rules will guide our time together:
- Confidentiality: If issues are raised in supervision which concerns the supervisor re. Unsafe or unethical practice by the supervisee or issues which concern harm to self or others brought by the client then explorations about disclosure will begin and be revisited.
- Openness/honesty (about work done, the supervisory relationship etc)
- Agree no Gossip (any leakage of information in the systems)
- Using feedback to learn
Roles and Responsibilities:
We agree that both supervisor and supervisee are a BACP members and maintains this over the duration of the contract.
The supervisor will continue their continuing professional development and have supervision for their supervision.
We have agreed that I as supervisor will take responsibility for the process:
- Time keeping
- Managing the overall agenda for sessions
- Giving feedback
- Monitoring the supervisory relationship
- Creating a safe place
- Monitoring the ethical issues of counselling and supervision. Safety issues will be prioritised e.g. child protection, domestic abuse, mental health issues, onward referral etc.
- Keeping notes on sessions
- Drawing up any supervisory reports/notes
We have agreed that as a supervisee you will be responsible for:
- Preparing for supervision
- Presenting transparently in supervision: the content, themes, skills, theory and interventions of their work with clients in a congruent way
- Your learning objectives, applying learning from supervision
- Feedback to self and to supervisor
- Keeping notes of supervision sessions
Evaluation and Review:
We have agreed that informal evaluation of
Will take place every sixth session.
Formal evaluations will take place at end of year or as requested by either supervisor or supervisee.
The criteria against which evaluation of supervisees will take place at the end of this contract.
Renegotiation of Contract
At any time either party (supervisor or supervisee) can initiate discussion around re-negotiation of the contract or any part of it. This is done in advance so there is preparatory time available.
Signed _____________________ (Supervisor)
Signed _____________________ (Supervisee)
Signed _____________________ (Others e.g. organisation or training institution)